Monday, February 6, 2012

Heart Healthy Low Calorie Smoothie


My favorite breakfast for a busy morning is a smoothie. It's such an easy way to get a variety of food groups at the begining of the day. And, it's something easy to eat while I'm feeding the girls breakfast. I usually make a double serving so I can enjoy the other half after a run or in the afternoon for a snack. 

To make your smoothie heart healthy add any of the following:
  • Oranges or Orange Juice Why? Oranges have been shown to lower high blood pressure and cholesterol as well and contain anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Berries Why? Berries are full of antioxidants which help reduce your risk of heart disease.
  • Flax Seed Oil Why? It's full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which are essential for a healthy heart.
To get a dose of veggies in the morning I also add in some spinach. (You can't taste it at all)

Here's my quick smoothie recipe:

1 cup of frozen berries
1/4 cup spinach
1 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup orange juice (not pictured)
1 scoop of Whey Protein (optional)

Add all ingredients to blender and blend until thick. ENJOY!

Here's the nutritional breakdown, remember this recipe makes enough for two, so these numbers for one serving:
Calories: 155
Carbs: 20g
Fat: 4g
Protein: 14g

Also, I omitted flaxseed oil from my smoothie because I take a flaxseed supplement every morning. If you were to add it, your calories would increase to around 220 per serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...